Rattlesnakes

Pygmy Rattlers

Coral Snakes

Other Venomous Snakes

Venomous Lizards

Sponsors

Tools

Sponsors

 

Sponsors

 

What to DO if Bitten by a Venomous Snake

According to the Centers For Disease Control, in case of a snakebite;

DO
  • Do remain calm - Remember that there is an excellent chance for survival, and in most cases there is plenty of time.
  • Do suck and squeeze - as much venom as possible directly from the wound. Venom is protein and can be taken orally with no ill effects.
  • Do remove jewelry - Swelling can progress rapidly, so rings, watches and bracelets can be a real problem.
  • Do mark the time - The progress of symptoms (swelling) is the most obvious indicator of the amount of envenomation.
  • Do keep the stricken limb below the heart.
  • Do get to a hospital as quickly as possible - Anti-venom serum is the only sure cure for envenomation, and because some people are allergic to horse serum it should only be given in a fully equipped medical facility.
  • In case of a Coral bite, do pull the snake off immediately - Corals' fangs are relatively small, and they have to work at getting venom into the wound. Therefore, the faster the snake is removed the less venom is injected.
  • Do attempt to identify the offending snake - Positive identification in the form of a dead snake is helpful, if convenient, but no time or safety should be wasted since the symptoms will give medical personnel an accurate diagnosis.
  • Do get a tetanus shot.

Reptiles & Amphibians in the News