Other Venomous Snakes
What NOT to do if Bitten by a Venomous Snake
According to the Centers For Disease Control, in case of a snakebite;
- Don't cut the wound - This almost always causes more damage than it's worth.
- Don't use a tourniquet - This isolates the venom in a small area and causes the digestive enzymes in the venom to concentrate the damage.
- Don't use alcohol orally - it speeds the heart and blood flow and reduces the body's counter-acting ability.
- Don't use ice - Freezing the stricken limb has been found to be a major factor leading to amputation.
- Source: Centers For Disease Control, http://www.cdc.gov
Reptiles & Amphibians News